Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    My Crappy House
    Participant
    Premium Member

Hello,

I’m not sure if this is a MailChimp problem or a theme problem, but it started when I began using Ashe Pro, so I’m going to start here.

I use MailChimp to notify my subscribers when a new post goes live. The emails contain a photo and just the first few lines of the post and then prompt the reader to click through to read the whole thing.

Since switching to Ashe Pro, those emails now contain the whole post content (no photos, just the text – ALL of the text.)

I poked around the appearance customization and I did find a toggle in the Blog/general section to use the post excerpt in the description, but that truncates how my posts look on my homepage. (Still, as a test, I toggled from post content to post excerpt to see if that would affect the email and it still shows the entire post text in the email.)

Any idea what’s happening and how I can fix it? My website is mycrappyhouse.com. Thank you!

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi,

Can you please describe your issue more detailed? Can you please share the screenshot of the issue or a link where the issue exists?

Screenshots will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

My Crappy House
    Participant
    Premium Member

Hello,

Please see screenshots attached of what an email looked like before Ashe and after Ashe. I didn’t change anything in MailChimp. My email blast has this command to pull the content excerpt from my RSS feed:

*|RSSITEM:CONTENT|*

And MailChimp describes that as:
    <p style=”margin: 1.875rem 0px 0px; padding: 0px; color: #403b3b; font-family: ‘Graphik Web’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 1.5;”>Related RSS tag: <description> nested in <item></p>
    <p style=”margin: 1.875rem 0px 0px; padding: 0px; color: #403b3b; font-family: ‘Graphik Web’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 1.5;”>What it displays: A summary of the RSS item in HTML format, which includes information inside the <description> tag. If there is no <description> tag in your feed, Mailchimp will display the information in the <content:encoded> tag</p>
    So is there no <description> tag in my feed now that I’m using Ashe Pro? I’ve never utilized the “excerpt” box when writing posts. If I put something in that box, will it grab that instead of the entire post content?

The photo size also changed dramatically, as you can see in the screenshot. It used to be the same width as my logo and now, not so much. I can live with that, but I can’t have my whole post content showing up in my emails. Not only is it a really unpleasant reading experience, but people no longer have to click through to my blog to read it.

For reference, this is the link to my latest post – the one in problem email. https://mycrappyhouse.com/building-a-shed-on-a-budget/

Thanks so much.

My Crappy House
    Participant
    Premium Member

Yikes. I thought I could copy and paste the text from MailChimp. Here’s a screenshot of what I was trying to show you.

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi,

I will redirect this email to the developer’s board and they will check.

Kind Regards

My Crappy House
    Participant
    Premium Member

Hello,

I believe I have solved this myself by utilizing the manual excerpt field when writing my post. I’d always left that blank before and MailChimp would pull the first couple of sentences from my blog post content for my automatic emails. To solve my issue, I just need to write custom excerpts, which I actually like better than before. I can write a little blurb to try to entice people to click through. I appreciate your time. I hope this maybe helps someone else.

Thank you 🙂

vako
    Keymaster
    WP Royal Team

Hi,

Wow, thank you for sharing it for us too, I am glad that you have managed to find out it by your self.

Feel free to contact us anytime, we will do our best to help you.

Kind Regards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.